Friday, 13 April 2007

The Sound of Science

It’s been a week since I blogged but that’s probably because I haven’t had much to blog about. Things appear to be progressing. We have now officially completed the screenplay. We’ve got scene numbers and everything. It’s all planning from here on out. That’s if Zane can muster the courage to tell his boss that he’s taking four weeks holiday.

I’ve been thinking about the film score as of late and I’ve been scratching my head for what sort of music I’m going to have to write for this film. My model for this movie is going to be The Dust Brothers soundtrack for Fight Club simply because it’s possibly the greatest soundtrack ever put to a film. Most soundtracks usually fall into two categories; orchestral scores or a mix of songs from well know artists. The Dust Brothers broke the mould by creating a weird sort of electro-funk acid-jazz hybrid that works so much better then an orchestral score or a “songs inspired by the movie” soundtrack. So while I don’t want to rip off the same sound I definitely want to follow the same concept.

Thinking about writing music for a movie is weird because unlike writing a regular song, I can’t just write anything I like because the music needs to be very specific and serve a purpose. On top of that I’m trying to write the sound track before we’ve shot a single frame of footage, but I figure I really need to start early. In eight years I still haven’t been able to complete my elusive debut album so I think finishing an entire movie soundtrack in a month might be asking a lot.

No comments: